No I am not a vegan. BUT! Sometimes I do like baking as healthy as possible and vegan options always intrigue me. This one popped up on my Facebook feed from livestrong.com’s page and I just had to try it. It tastes like chocolate cake and is 100% guilt free!
¼ cup hot water
2 tbsps ground flax
1 cup flour (I make my own oat flour but you can use gluten-free, or whatever your dietary preference is)
½ cup quick oats
½ cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
½ teaspoon salt (I use sea salt)
½ tsp cinnamon
3 ripe bananas
1 ripe avocado (great substitute for butter in baking)
1 cup coconut sugar (better alternative to brown sugar)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chips (vegan if you’re a vegan)
1) Preheat oven to 350degrees and grease bread pan.
2) Mix the hot water and flax and let sit for 5 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
3) Stir together dry ingredients, flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
4) In a separate bowl mash together the bananas and avocado. Add to dry ingredients.
5) Stir in coconut sugar, vanilla extract, flax mixture and ½ cup of dark chocolate chips.
6) Pour into greased bread pan.
7) Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips onto the top of the loaf.
8) Bake for approximately 1 hour.
9) Let cool then dig in!